Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Montsalvat Exhibiton


The Yarra Story
Drawing from the Birrarung


The complete works on
canvas and paper from the Yarra Series 2006-2009,
the fifth and largest exhibition in a series following the Yarra River by

Katie Roberts


MONTSALVAT
7 Hillcrest Ave. Eltham, Victoria, Australia
Opening: Sun 20 Dec 3-5pm
Dec 20 – Jan 31, 2010
Hours: 9-5 everyday (except public holidays)

Your are invited to come follow the river...

This exhibition ‘The Yarra Story – Drawing from the Birrarung’ will reveal the complete body of paintings and drawings by Katie Roberts, capturing a new view on our ancient history and environment. She has been following the Yarra River, making art on its banks for nearly four years - she has now traced almost the whole river from its source to the bay. The Yarra Story presents a unique perspective on this land, one that includes many ways we relate to our environment and ultimately conveys a deep sense of the spirit of this place.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Katie,
    My friend Maya Ward forwarded me the invite to your exhibition at Montsalvat. It looks amazing and I do hope to make it to it. I did spend some time at your blog and I think we may be kindred spirits.

    I am also an artist, passionate about our freshwater systems. I've spent the past 5 or so years mapping creeks and rivers, including the Yarra. In 2005 I mapped my local creek, Edgars Creek. The following year I created www.freshwater.net.au, which I invite you to take a look at.
    In the past 2 years the website has had over 65,000 visitors, 380,000+ hits. It is also about to be added to the State Library's Pandora Archive, which will make it a permanent public record.

    Later this year I will be updating the website and I would like to include information about you in the individuals section, (http://www.freshwater.net.au/community/melbourne_freshwater_individuals.html) as I want to use it in any way I can to support people like yourself.
    I'd love to speak with you more about all this. I can be contacted via the freshwater website.
    Congratulations on your wonderful work!
    Cheers
    Aliey

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Alley,

    thank you so much for your lovely comment. It is great to hear you are out there with such similar intentions. I am very interested in what you have been doing too. It is great to link up with other river-loving folk!

    I am honoured that you would consider adding a profile on me to your site. I will try to contact you via email soon. Sorry for my late reply btw, I am in holiday mode!

    Warmest regards,

    Katie

    ReplyDelete