Thursday, June 25, 2009

Nillumbik Prize

Tonight opens the Nillumbik Prize exhibition at Montsalvat, my piece Land Memory - Melbourne is included. (see previous post). It is very exciting and a little nerve racking as much of the other work is of quite a high quality. It will be good regardless of whether I win or not.


Nillumbik Prize Exhibition 2009
Montsalvat Barn Gallery

There are works in the show by Dale Cox and Marco Luccio and it is interesting and encouraging to see I am not the only one exploring the theme of the Australian landscape in a contemporary way. I have spent some time in the last few days in the mountains and plains between the Upper Yarra Damn and Yering, observing the landscape, drawing and organising exhibitions. I have been working on a large painting of the mountain ranges and see myself entering a blue phase of working with all the beautiful colours of the landscape here. I am hoping to exhibit next year at Yering Station - the oldest winery in Victoria, where I just submitted an application yesterday and confirmed my first show in this batch of exhibitions to be held at The Upper Yarra Arts Centre in October this year.

Its a hard job being an artist and doing my own marketing, promotion, administration and seeking funding and sponsorship - all while trying to make my art. I'd better get back to it, meanwhile if anyone wants to help or knows any potential sponsors let me know...

1 comment:

  1. Fingers crossed....have a great night no matter what the result.

    ReplyDelete